Home > Obstetrics, Rants and Raves > Numerology in Obstetrics Presentations

Numerology in Obstetrics Presentations

A warning to all – this post is really for the docs out there.   If you are not in the medical profession, you might find this humorous, or you might find it completely unintelligible – so read on with that warning.

When I was a medical student and resident, we routinely presented obstetrical patients in a common format:

Age – Gravity (how many times pregnant) - Parity (how many children delivered) - gestational age  extra information.

For example, this patient is a 24 year old (age) G2 (gravity) P1 (Parity) at 29 6/7 weeks with a history of a preterm delivery in her first pregnancy (extra information).

To me, this format makes sense and when I am listening to a presentation it is easy to hear and process.

Unfortunately, things have changed.  We seem to have adopted a new system that incorporates all the extra information into a numerical abbreviation system.  Now we do this:

Age – Gravity – Parity Full Term – Parity Preterm – Miscarriages/Abortions – Live Children – gestational age – extra information ( which may not be required any more)

For example, the previous presentation would be “this is a 24 year old G2P0101 at 29 6/7 weeks”.

For some reason, this just doesn’t work for me.   Inevitably what happens is that the resident quickly says all of these numbers and my brain freezes.  I now have to spend the next 3 or 4 seconds of my attention processing these numbers into some actual meaning that I can interpret.  During those 3 or 4 seconds the resident has continued their presentation, but I have not heard what they said because I was trying to figure out what they said before meant.

The problem here is over-abreviation.  Abreviation is good when it improves efficiency, but there can be too much of a good thing, and I think we have that right here.

And so to all you med students, residents, and docs, I encourage you to set an example by extinguishing this extended numerology from your obstetrical presentations.  Just say it in plain English.  We will all understand you better.

About these ads
  1. May 14, 2014 at 1:50 am

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an
    established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin.
    Do you have any tips or suggestions? With thanks

2. June 5, 2014 at 3:59 am

I also share with him my concern over the content of some of the songs and its effect on him.
    Having enough patient and knowledge is the best answer
    for these problems. Sometimes we have to turn out all the
    lights and sit in the dark to understand the nature of the darkness.
    It features some fixes to the control, menu and multiplayer aspects along with
    some balancing changes. New fantasy book releases in Young Adult
    Fantasy are:.

3. June 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm

May I simply say what a relief to uncover somebody that genuinely understands what they’re talking about on the web.
    You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and
    make it important. A lot more people have to look at this and understand this side of the story.
    I was surprised you are not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.

4. July 12, 2014 at 7:14 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board
    and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back
    and help others like you helped me.

5. July 18, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Finding the time and actual effort to make a
    superb article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

6. July 21, 2014 at 10:55 pm

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.
    Do you offer guest writers to write content for
    you? I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write about here.
    Again, awesome website!