Home > Uncategorized > A Nice Clean White Coat

A Nice Clean White Coat

As I rolled into my office this morning I noticed that my white coat was looking a little dingy.  Fortunately, my AA ordered me a bunch of coats so I always have some hanging up, fresh from the cleaners.  Usually she has to tell me to switch them. Occasionally I notice myself.  Either way, I don’t tend to walk around with a coat that isn’t at least mostly white.

But it wasn’t always that way.  As a resident, I had a habit of finding out just how brown a white coat can be.  It was hard to tell for me, as the change was very gradual.  But a few years into a residency, I could stand next to someone with a truly white coat and the difference was, well, ghastly.  But now it is different, and while I have to give my AA credit, in truth the credit goes to my third year REI attending, Dr John Schnorr.

I started my REI rotation early in my third year.  Effectively, this meant that the two white coats I had been given at the beginning of my internship were somewhere between yellow and poo.  I walked into the Taj Mahal office, as REI offices tend to be, and presented myself to Dr Schnorr.  He gave me a funny look that I didn’t quite pick up on.  He then proceeded to go over all the rules and responsibilities for the rotation, as would be typical for the orientation.

We had a great first day.  At the end of it, I could tell he was a little uncomfortable about something.  He hesitated, then he came out with it.

“Do you get your coats laundered?”

This was a very polite Southern way of saying  “Your coat looks like shit”

“Uh… no”

As if I had to say it.

But then he said the greatest thing.

“Just throw your coats in our laundry bin…. our people will launder them for you.”

So I did, and was forever changed.  When I got that first laundered coat, all bleach white and starched, I never looked back.

So residents – take your coat to the cleaners from time to time… its only seven bucks, but it looks like a million.

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. June 11, 2013 at 3:35 am

I just ordered new white coats through our department and am sorry to say that the nice crisp thick white cotton has been replaced by thin, poor quality crap.

They don;t make white coats like they used to…Sort of like baseball uniforms.

Have a great day.

Peggy

2. Olga
    July 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

There is reasonable evidence (infectious disease) to lose the white coat altogether. Ick.

3. July 22, 2013 at 3:46 am

I have a similar story about polishing my shoes. An older doc suggested unpolished shoes, actually looking like I worked as a garbage collector, reflected poorly on my overall hygeine. Nice story.

4. July 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love it whenever people get together and share thoughts.
    Great site, keep it up!

5. August 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.

Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

6. August 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Take a separate quote from the company asking for coverage if
    you want insurance coverage to your furniture during transit.
    The services provided by a Moving Company – A moving company helps companies and folks to relocate their items from a single spot to an additional whether
    in the identical town or a single town to one more.
    Contact companies you do business with approximately four weeks before you move.

7. August 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Houseboats in Echuca are ideal houseboats
    which have the accommodations that allow you to relax and explore the lake with all the comforts
    of any regular home. Connect “A’s” positive terminal
    to “B’s” negative terminal. Revealed in my unique readymade
    bait and homemade bait carp and catfish bait secrets ebooks
    is far more powerful information look up my unique
    website (Baitbigfish) and see my biography below
    for details of my ebooks deals right now.

1. No trackbacks yet.