Home > Uncategorized > A Nice Clean White Coat

A Nice Clean White Coat

As I rolled into my office this morning I noticed that my white coat was looking a little dingy.  Fortunately, my AA ordered me a bunch of coats so I always have some hanging up, fresh from the cleaners.  Usually she has to tell me to switch them. Occasionally I notice myself.  Either way, I don’t tend to walk around with a coat that isn’t at least mostly white.

But it wasn’t always that way.  As a resident, I had a habit of finding out just how brown a white coat can be.  It was hard to tell for me, as the change was very gradual.  But a few years into a residency, I could stand next to someone with a truly white coat and the difference was, well, ghastly.  But now it is different, and while I have to give my AA credit, in truth the credit goes to my third year REI attending, Dr John Schnorr.

I started my REI rotation early in my third year.  Effectively, this meant that the two white coats I had been given at the beginning of my internship were somewhere between yellow and poo.  I walked into the Taj Mahal office, as REI offices tend to be, and presented myself to Dr Schnorr.  He gave me a funny look that I didn’t quite pick up on.  He then proceeded to go over all the rules and responsibilities for the rotation, as would be typical for the orientation.

We had a great first day.  At the end of it, I could tell he was a little uncomfortable about something.  He hesitated, then he came out with it.

“Do you get your coats laundered?”

This was a very polite Southern way of saying  “Your coat looks like shit”

“Uh… no”

As if I had to say it.

But then he said the greatest thing.

“Just throw your coats in our laundry bin…. our people will launder them for you.”

So I did, and was forever changed.  When I got that first laundered coat, all bleach white and starched, I never looked back.

So residents – take your coat to the cleaners from time to time… its only seven bucks, but it looks like a million.

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. June 11, 2013 at 3:35 am

I just ordered new white coats through our department and am sorry to say that the nice crisp thick white cotton has been replaced by thin, poor quality crap.

They don;t make white coats like they used to…Sort of like baseball uniforms.

Have a great day.

Peggy

2. Olga
    July 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

There is reasonable evidence (infectious disease) to lose the white coat altogether. Ick.

3. July 22, 2013 at 3:46 am

I have a similar story about polishing my shoes. An older doc suggested unpolished shoes, actually looking like I worked as a garbage collector, reflected poorly on my overall hygeine. Nice story.

4. July 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love it whenever people get together and share thoughts.
    Great site, keep it up!

5. August 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.

Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

6. April 20, 2014 at 6:32 am

Undeniably believe that that you stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be at
    the internet the simplest factor to take note of. I say
    to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as people consider issues that they plainly don’t understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and outlined
    out the entire thing without having side-effects , other
    people can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.
    Thanks

7. April 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

Experts therefore recommend having natural light from windows,
    vanity for task lighting, and recessed light in the ceiling.

Following you have chosen on a colour for use
    on your bathroom partitions, fantastic stage is ponder whether you
    want all other people of your dcor to merge with this colour or to distinction towards the software.
    Make sure you have plenty of soft washcloths, scented soaps and face masks on hand.

8. May 20, 2014 at 2:10 am

Once you are fully aware of its type, you can simply visit the Amazon online store to know the 5-star beauty item.
    If you really like the effects obtained by these
    filters but wish you had more control over them, Photo – Wiz
    does offer more feature-rich versions of most of these tools at fairly reasonable prices.
    Emphasize, thicken and define your lashes in one smooth move with Superiore Mascaras one of a kind formula.

9. May 23, 2014 at 7:27 am

Vitamins rich in omega three oils include fish oil
    and flax seed oil. There are many eyelash growth products to
    choose from out there that promise results of longer, fuller,
    darker lashes. Wholesome eyelashes that are longer,
    darker, and more full is what an eyelash enhancer
    has waiting for you.