Home > Uncategorized > A Nice Clean White Coat

A Nice Clean White Coat

As I rolled into my office this morning I noticed that my white coat was looking a little dingy.  Fortunately, my AA ordered me a bunch of coats so I always have some hanging up, fresh from the cleaners.  Usually she has to tell me to switch them. Occasionally I notice myself.  Either way, I don’t tend to walk around with a coat that isn’t at least mostly white.

But it wasn’t always that way.  As a resident, I had a habit of finding out just how brown a white coat can be.  It was hard to tell for me, as the change was very gradual.  But a few years into a residency, I could stand next to someone with a truly white coat and the difference was, well, ghastly.  But now it is different, and while I have to give my AA credit, in truth the credit goes to my third year REI attending, Dr John Schnorr.

I started my REI rotation early in my third year.  Effectively, this meant that the two white coats I had been given at the beginning of my internship were somewhere between yellow and poo.  I walked into the Taj Mahal office, as REI offices tend to be, and presented myself to Dr Schnorr.  He gave me a funny look that I didn’t quite pick up on.  He then proceeded to go over all the rules and responsibilities for the rotation, as would be typical for the orientation.

We had a great first day.  At the end of it, I could tell he was a little uncomfortable about something.  He hesitated, then he came out with it.

“Do you get your coats laundered?”

This was a very polite Southern way of saying  “Your coat looks like shit”

“Uh… no”

As if I had to say it.

But then he said the greatest thing.

“Just throw your coats in our laundry bin…. our people will launder them for you.”

So I did, and was forever changed.  When I got that first laundered coat, all bleach white and starched, I never looked back.

So residents – take your coat to the cleaners from time to time… its only seven bucks, but it looks like a million.

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. June 11, 2013 at 3:35 am

I just ordered new white coats through our department and am sorry to say that the nice crisp thick white cotton has been replaced by thin, poor quality crap.

They don;t make white coats like they used to…Sort of like baseball uniforms.

Have a great day.

Peggy

2. Olga
    July 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

There is reasonable evidence (infectious disease) to lose the white coat altogether. Ick.

3. July 22, 2013 at 3:46 am

I have a similar story about polishing my shoes. An older doc suggested unpolished shoes, actually looking like I worked as a garbage collector, reflected poorly on my overall hygeine. Nice story.

4. July 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love it whenever people get together and share thoughts.
    Great site, keep it up!

5. August 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.

Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

6. August 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Take a separate quote from the company asking for coverage if
    you want insurance coverage to your furniture during transit.
    The services provided by a Moving Company – A moving company helps companies and folks to relocate their items from a single spot to an additional whether
    in the identical town or a single town to one more.
    Contact companies you do business with approximately four weeks before you move.

7. August 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Houseboats in Echuca are ideal houseboats
    which have the accommodations that allow you to relax and explore the lake with all the comforts
    of any regular home. Connect “A’s” positive terminal
    to “B’s” negative terminal. Revealed in my unique readymade
    bait and homemade bait carp and catfish bait secrets ebooks
    is far more powerful information look up my unique
    website (Baitbigfish) and see my biography below
    for details of my ebooks deals right now.

8. September 11, 2014 at 9:23 pm

The ancient Egyptians mainly made their cosmetics
    from clay and oils (with the occasional dash of mercury).
    4 – An eyelash comb will help keep the lashes separate.
    Most people use razors when they want a product to remove underarm hair.

9. September 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Having read this I believed it was really enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

10. September 28, 2014 at 2:57 am

I think this is one of the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things,
    The website style is wonderful, the articles is really great
    : D. Good job, cheers

11. October 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Again, which statement to you believe is the most true.
    Your team can have ready access to all your training material
    on a website, or via emails, making it very easy to learn, and
    to share with their own teams. Foss achieved her stated desire
    to share her life, skills she learned in her journey as a financial advisor
    and her distress as the 2008 financial meltdown unfolded.

12. November 5, 2014 at 3:36 am

It’s amazing for me to have a web site, which is good in support of my know-how.
    thanks admin

13. February 18, 2015 at 3:28 am

If you wish for to obtain much from this paragraph then yyou have to apply these
    strategies to your won web site.

14. March 8, 2015 at 8:29 pm

be used bank account Syndrome. your own be taken bank account syndrome will be caused When ones suitable information isn’t passed on in the beginning regarding phone contracts. That is how It works. almost all mobile phone networks accounts your current line rental throughout advance of any and then month

15. April 16, 2015 at 6:28 am

These instances I’m on the verge of give are generally purely misinformation and are in no way meant to decide on real people today:
    If you have messages from people today named Sheldon Forsyth and
    David Henderson, who is prone to get a phone back.

16. April 18, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Actually, a lot of enterprises tend to focus on external image and
    reputation, often ignoring construction of internal image and
    word of mouth. To locate out the word count of a selection of text, you ought to use your
    mouse cursor to highlight the text in the document.
    The kids seem to be picking it up so fast, faster than we as teachers or
    as any other end-user growing up in prior generations.

17. April 19, 2015 at 3:31 am

Make certain you plan in advance so that you have plenty of time to to get your
    self a pair of Air Jordan III’s. There is an further plastic insert help
    for the instep as perfectly. Other features of the shoe
    paid homage to a star Nike thought had left the court forever.

18. April 19, 2015 at 11:52 am

He persists in being kind-hearted, compassionate, and forgiving to the Chinese, even after they drove
    him into exile from his homeland of Tibet.

So let’s agree not to do to others what we don’t like ourselves.
    ¡¥ clothes are dwindling, when their own boxes are larger and larger.

19. April 19, 2015 at 1:26 pm

This all attributes to the King’s expertise on the court.

The staff is used to seeing me during the day and know of my frequent business with them.

Having a good basketball shoe can make you faster and better,
    while keeping your feet protected.

20. April 21, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Exercise is also an important factor in properly managing
    diabetes. You’re likely to lose some sensation in your feet due to lack of blood flow and nerve damage.
    This is the best alternative for high-fat meals while others contain omega-3 fatty acids.

21. April 21, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Nikon Coolpix is an ideal digicam for the amateur users.
    G lens – Lens Barrel: Plastic – Lens Type: Auto Focus
    fixed prime – Maximum Focal Length: 50mm – Minimum Focal Length: 50mm – Macro Focusing
    Distance:1. 2MP DX-Format sensor that offers a wide ISO
    range (ISO 100 to 6400) at lesser noise and EXPEED 2 image processing engine, the
    outstanding images trademark of Nikon are attained.

1. No trackbacks yet.